Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Thoughts: Adventureland (or my defense of Kristen Stewart)


Let me start by first declaring that I loved this film. I went in knowing that it was not Superbad (its more Almost Famous), so I was not surprised as many people seemed to be. This film is best described as a slapstick comedy script directed by a dramatic director. Of course, this is not true as it was both written and directed by Greg Mottola, but that's the feeling you get. The movie is filled with comedic setups that rarely go where you think they will and stereotypical characters that are anything but. It's set in the 80's (complete with soundtrack), but doesn't fall into cliched "people in the 80's were ridiculous" comedy. Mottola remains sincere and devoted to his characters, as even minor character built from 80's archetypes (hot, popular girl/pompous jerk musician) develop into well rounded characters each treated as if they were the main character.

None of this is meant to imply that the movie isn't funny. The majority of the jokes are played very low key by the actors, and it works very well. There is a bigger focus on timing and situational comedy rather than physical or gross-out humor that people may be expecting. The few bits of slapstick in the film are played perfectly by Bill Hader and Kristen Wiig, who tend to steal the few scenes in which they appear.

As for the rest of the cast, I'd like to give exceptional marks to Jesse Eisenberg, who has already shown his knack for dramatic and comedic timing in films like The Squid and The Whale, and to Martin Starr, who is great as always (people should be currently watching him in Party Down on Starz). Now here is where some may be surprised, I'd like to give the Most Improved award to Kristen Stewart. After coming off an thoroughly mediocre performance in the thoroughly mediocre Twilight I would not expect much from her, but she did a good job in the film. She plays Em's understated vulnerability with a quiet sexiness that went a long way to convince me she's a girl that James (Eisenberg) couldn't help but fall in love with. I'm convinced that if Stewart makes wise choices, she could have a successful career ahead of her. We'll have to wait and see how she does as Joan Jett in The Runaways, but I'm optimistic.

There seems to be some disagreement on this point coming from some (female) people I know and have seen online.  They believe that she is simply a one-note actress, but they're definitely just jealous (alright, maybe not).  Seriously though, I do think they're coming into this film with a predisposed dislike of her from her part in Twilight, but I think it also may have something to do with the fact that girls simply don't want to think that boys would fall for girls like her, but unfortunately that is not the case.  For the most part, we love that kind of girl (speaking generally, obviously not every boy would like a girl like that).  I have yet to come across a female critic that gives an opinion either way, but most male critics have been positive about her performance, and I've heard almost universally positive reactions from male bloggers, commentors and the like.

Random thoughts:

  • James is supposed to be a college graduate, but he doesn't seem to have any idea how to nonchalantly hide his erections?  Come on!
  • Girls in the 80's could be impressed by fictional stories of the night you played with Lou Reed?  I would have been a great 80's liar.
  • On second thought, listening to "Rock Me, Amadeus" over and over probably would have made life pretty unbearable.
  • Air drumming Rush's "Limelight."  Hell yes.
  • A mustachioed Bill Hader with a baseball bat is probably the scariest thing I've seen in a long time.

Verdict: Check this film out. Eight out of ten (bonus if you're at the exact same point in your life as the characters in the film like I am).

1 comment:

  1. Thanks I was mildly excited to see this film, now I know I must!

    ReplyDelete